Saturday, September 15, 2012

The night that Kirk Pengilly called

 Photo from 1991

So anyway, I don't quite even know where to begin with this story!

Lastnight, I was sitting on a stool at my kitchen bench having a cuppa with my dad when the home phone rang. Nobody has my home phone number (except the Alfred), and so the only calls I ever receive are from those pesky telemarketers who ignore the Do Not Call Register.

Dad looked at me wondering why I wasn't answering, and so of course I told him it was just another telemarketer that would hang up when they got the answering machine message.

Except, this time, the phone didn't hang up, and the person who was calling started talking.

I quickly picked up the phone and answered, and the voice at the end said 'Hi this is Kirk Pengilly'. Oh my goodness, I could've fallen off my stool with shock!

I may have gushed about how I was a massive fan, and that INXS Kick was the first album that I ever bought and that I still had my LP collection... and by that point I was probably blubbering and I don't quite know what else I said.

Surprise!


If you want a real blast from the past, I devoted an entire post to INXS was back in 2008... (and yes I still have my ticket stubs and my concert tee from 1991).

Carly and Kirk

I have to thank my amazing friend Carly for taking time out from her wonderful night at the Layne Beachley Aim For The Stars Foundation Ball to organise something so special just for me. I was hoping that she might be able to get a signature if it wasn't to embarrassing to ask. I never would have dreamed that she could surprise me with a phonecall!

I woke up thismorning and it all seemed totally surreal and I wondered if it was just a dream..... but thank goodness for the answering machine. How am I ever going to be able to delete those few recorded words?

16 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

That's awesome! How exciting!!

Makeminemidcentury said...

You're not. You're not going to delete those recorded words!

I love this story. It's just too sweet and thoughtful. Good for you! I'm now going to sit near the phone and wait for John Taylor to call.xo

Fiona said...

You know you can never delete that message! You'll be able to dine out on that story for years!!!!

Carly is an amazing friend indeed!!

Miss said...

Yaay for you and for Carly! Fabulous pic!

Miss said...

PS wish I could "like" comments - Makeminemidcentury - great comment!

Dee said...

So very awesome ! Well done Carly, very well done.

And no, you can never delete that message now !

Unknown said...

It looks like you're going to have to buy a new answering machine now, and store that one with your ticket stubs and t-shirts.

Ady said...

Amazing! What a fab surprise! You should have asked him to record a new message for you ... like 'Hi this is Kirk Pengilly. Cam can't speak to you right now so leave a message.'

Unknown said...

OMG what a Wonderful Friend you have I would have been Gobsmacked too...You can Never Delete that Message.
Well Done
Cheers

Kate said...

Wow, how exciting! You have one awesome friend.

Jodie said...

And Kirk woke up and thought " I can't believe I got to speak to Superpops!"

Stomper Girl said...

So ace Cam!

Jody Pearl said...

You need a new answering machine - great story Cam. x

rachelmp said...

Just awesome! I can still remember all the word to Kick and was at that same 1991 concert

cat and vee xoxo said...

oh that is so exciting!! I love love looooved INXS!! (it did take me a while to remember it was in-excess and not inkses ... but I was about 11 when I started loving them ... we're talking Johnsons' Aeroplane era). I could seriously never erase that little bit of answer-machine tape ... yay for you! and Kirk and Carly !! Cat.

Carly Findlay said...

I read this and giggled. I still can't believe it happened either! Love!
I will be writing my own blog soon amd will send the link to it amd this post to the Foundation.