Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Make It In May Skirt Sew-Along - Here's mine!

Unfortunately Frances is not as wide as me, so the skirt is clipped in at the back to stay up

I've finished my first skirt for the Make It In May Skirt Sew-Along!

It's a little bit later than what I'd first hoped, but I'm completely chuffed with it and I love it.

The pattern is the Nicole Mallalieu Design You Sew Girl A-Line Skirt Pattern which I stock in my shop here.

The pattern doesn't have pockets - I've added them using my own template to satisfy my slightly absurd pocket obsession!

Reasons why I love this pattern:

  • It suits my shape
  • The fully interfaced waist band does wonders for my belly
  • It's comfortable
  • It can be shortened to any length (I choose to make mine knee length as I rather like my lower legs)
  • There is an instruction booklet with a step by step guide and lots of photos.
  • My finished product looks like an expensive shop-bought skirt
  • The pattern is paper (not tissue)


I picked up this wool suiting fabric during the Spotty 40% off sale, so the fabric for the entire skirt only cost around $7.

**Edit: I just found the receipt from Spotty - it's Wool Suiting CLT #22 Grey, 147cm - it was $8.99 per metre (after the 40%) off and I only used 1 metre for a knee length in size 14, so the actual fabric cost was really $9

I originally intended to use an invisible zip at the back, but I had a little accident and mangled the teeth of the zip. Then while trying to fix the teeth, I completely broke the zip... so instead of taking another trip to Spotty, I used a dress zip from the stash instead.

I've never sewn with wool suiting before. but I'm loving the way it drapes. It's hard to get excited about a plain grey fabric when you're shopping and sewing, but this skirt is going to make lots of coloured/patterned tops in my wardrobe much more wearable during the winter months.

I'm taking it for the first test run in the city tomorrow. It should fit in well in the centre of black/charcoal grey loving Melbourne!

35 comments:

Sarah said...

What do you mean later than I had hoped!!! It is only the ninth! I am buying my time girly!

Believe it or not I am looking at similar fabric and colour to do the same! Wished it was at that price!!! Wondered if I looked at the wrong area... Anyhow have other fabric which I will try to get a start on tonight so I am not scrapping the last day!

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed.
Great partner for the orange top!

Unknown said...

Wow - only $7? When I was looking at wool suiting at Spotlight the other day, it was $40/m. Even at 40% off, $7 worth of fabric is going to be hard pressed to make me a belt at that price! I may need to go back and take another look (child-free!) with the $40 off vouchers that have just come out. The skirt looks fantastic, I love your pockets. I'm putting pockets on mine too, but different to yours. I've got it all cut out today, ready to sew. Love the top you've got with it, too.

Michelle said...

Oh Cam - it's fantastic! And I love LOVE those tennis pockets. How did you finish them? Looks like they have a lovely edge!

Renae @ theredwren said...

It is beautiful! I'd love to see it on you!
The pockets really add something too it, I love it!

Renae @ theredwren said...

It is beautiful! I'd love to see it on you!
The pockets really add something too it, I love it!

Jennie said...

I love the fabric you have used and the pockets are perfect!

Lien said...

Oh that's a fantastic winter skirt. I've got to get a move on then!!

Sheridan said...

I would totally buy that skirt if I saw it in a shop.

I love the way it hangs.

And that has to be the bargain of the century!

Nikki said...

It looks great, Cam - and very swish with those pockets!!

p_m_oleary said...

Looks great. Did you make the top as well? If so, could you pass on the pattern. Thanks

Tanya said...

gorgeous Cam

Lisa said...

LOVE it! I think I might have to dig into my stash, I think there is something similar in there that WAS for a jacket for the kids but now I think a skirt for me might me much better..

Cass said...

Oh Cam I absolutely love it, the fabric is gorgeous and it hangs so nicely

Mistea said...

Your skirt is beautiful - I really hope that I get myself organised this month. It's not like there isn't plenty of suitable resources in the stash.
Enjoy wearing your skirt.

Leonie said...

It is lovely. Love the pockets too.

Kirsty said...

Great job Cam. I love the pockets!

Fay said...

Beautiful skirt! Love the pockets.

Jen said...

very nice :)

Seaweed and Raine said...

Oh well done! It looks like a fab skirt - and paired with that gorgeous orange top - Bellissimo!

Claire said...

Fab skirt, great design and I do like a nice grey......great job.

I love wearing skirts with boots and tights int the cooler months.

Maybe it's time to make one for myself!!

Claire :}

Miss G said...

that is unreal! I love it and will be starting mine today! Just have to find the fabric in my stash! thanks for your constant awesome inspiration x G

Notchka said...

I love the pocket detail and really you can't go past a basic grey skirt. I'm sure it will become a wardrobe staple. Wool is so nice to sew with and the drape is really nice indeed. Did you line it?

Kelly @ Polkadot Lane said...

Grey is one of my favourite neutral colours, and I love this skirt! You will get so much wear out of it through winter, I'm sure.

Max said...

absolutely stunning, i love the pocket and wide waist band, and i cant believe how little it cost! wow!

sascedar said...

such a great pattern, but i love tha addition of the pockets, looks great!

Pam said...

Agreeing with all others, your skirt looks fab! Very professional looking indeed. Well done you.
I've just joined in with your challenge and am really looking forward to it. Thanks! :)

lamina@do a bit said...

Sounds like the most perfest skirt for me too! You did a beautiful job making it! Love the fabric.. perfect for winter!

Sally said...

Well I'm excited. Grey is my favourite colour!!! Loving that skirt. Looks wonderful, especially teamed up with that orange top. Wonderful.

Maxabella said...

Love it love it ole it, Cam. I hope you've still got stocks of that pattern 'cos I'm coming to get it, baby, I'm coming! x

Anonymous said...

Wow Cam it looks fantastic I like that it was a bargain too..... the fabric hangs very nicely indeed....

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

this is divine - I love it! and feel guilty that I have not started...ok maybe my mother's day gift can be time to make a skirt!!!!!! do you think that will work?? have fun showing of that damn fine skirt! xx

SJ Scott said...

If it is still May, it is not late! Beautiful job!

Funkbunny said...

If anyone lives in the inner-northern suburbs, go along to Brunswick fabrics. Pure Wool suiting for $6 a metre plus a whole host more gorgeous fabrics (and no, I'm nothing to do with them, it's just a great shop!!)

Megan.K. said...

I love it Cam! I wear a lot of black skirts/pants and then use colour on top, so I can completely relae to this colour choice.
x