Thursday, April 2, 2009

My creative space

My creative space is still a huge mess. I moved the furniture around again yesterday (with some helpers) so I'm testing out the new layout today.


I've started work on my Aunts handbag. I didn't even know where to begin to create a handbag with a zipped closure so I've taken the sensible route (very unusual for me) and used a pattern. This is my work in progress City Bag by Nicole Mallalieu.

Would you believe that this is only the fourth zipper that I've sewn in my entire life and it's on a curve and it worked! Just so you know, that's because of the instructions, not because of me.... he he he

My Aunt requested a red white and blue colour scheme but I couldn't find anything that I liked so I've opted for using navy blue cotton drill with a cotton print that I found in the quilting section at Spotlight. I've used interfacing on the bag outer to give it some more weight.

I'm going to make an adjustable strap using this tutorial, but I forgot to buy the supplies so I need to order some oblong rings and a slide adjuster in shiny silver. I think the shiny silver will look really pretty against the navy blue.

.... and on my fridge space - gorgeous artwork!

Head on over to visit Kirsty and sign up to play along.

11 comments:

Selina said...

zippers are soo scary!! i've only ever done 2! love the fabric in that bag.

Fee said...

Can't wait to see the end result - Love the fabric combo

Unknown said...

Oh love the fabrics, zips scare me very much, I need lots of practice! Can't wait to see it finished and your fridge is right, craft is the new cool!!
Sophie x

edward and lilly said...

Gorgeous bag and well done on the zipper!

Nikki said...

Yay - looks like it's all shaping up well!

Oh - and the artwork is stunning (of course!). We have the rest of the series here if you want to expand your collection...?

Sherrin said...

I love that fabric. Beautiful. Make sure you post a pic of all of it when you're done! :o)

frutejuce said...

I think you are very brave, firstly on the zip - scary mucho mucho! Secondly on using a pattern. I have never used a 'real' pattern before only ones I have made. I am scared to do it.

Jennifer Rose said...

the fabric is gorgeous! the zipper looks perfectly fine and its not all down to the instructions. You still had to sew it

belinda marshall said...

i think i'd sew much more if it weren't for zips, mine always come out wonky or buckledor too exposed!
the bag looks great, love the 2 panels.
belinda

Kirsty said...

The bag's looking fabulous. Nikki's patterns are wonderful. She's super clear & clever.

Liesl said...

The fabric you have chosen is so pretty - I can't wait to see what the finished bag looks like. I love particular pattern and hope to make it up one day soon too (along with 3 other bag patterns of Nikki's!).

It sounds like you have got zippers sorted. Stare them in the teeth early on and show them who's boss. If you look afraid, you're sunk!