Monday, January 31, 2011

Suave - Part One


Little Moo Moo is turning four this week - wowee how time flies!

He was just a little bubba when I began blogging..... his first birthday seems sooooo long ago now.

Now that he's a big boy, I thought that he needed a sophisticated and suave new outfit, and Bec had sent me a link to this supercute tutorial for a little boys vest.

When I went op shopping last week, I was also in search of a pair of mens plaid pants to transform into a vest, as per the tutorial, but instead, I actually bought a complete mens suit for $7.
So instead of following the tutorial, I made myself a half pattern from one of Moo's t-shirts (as per the tutorial), and then just winged it instead. The little sketch above shows how I laid down the pattern piece and cut out the vest. I've taken advantage of the original buttons and buttonholes, and the nice curved section at the bottom of the jacket.

I sewed the front and back pieces together, and then took it for a fitting. My original armholes were too small, so I had to increase them.



To finish off, I just added some binding to the neckline and armholes.

As I've only cut up the mens suit jacket so far, I still have an entire pair of pants that I can transform.... maybe Moo would like some matching trousers?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever!

Drewzel said...

Cute!
And I love your new blog header!

Selina said...

That is so adorable! You are such a clever little duck!

willywagtail said...

What a wonderful idea. I made my 4 year old son some plaid vests to go with dark trousers and he always looked realy good in them. BTW Just love yesterdays skirt. Sure wish I was small enough to get something like that. Cherrie

Becky said...

I love it! I have to file this idea away for when I find a suit to play with :)

Cass said...

Looks fantastic

Naturally Carol said...

I love your new header too, very cute this time. Your little mister will look so grown up in the vest...matching pants would be great! By the way I'm giving away an apron this week.

Tania said...

Inspired, Pops. Inspired.

(and inspiring!)

Unknown said...

Thats great, well done you ;-)) dee x

Renae said...

ooh you've had a fabulous makeover! The header is great!
I love the little vest- what a clever lass you are!

Jacinta said...

Oh how cute - what a great idea and it looks fantastic! So clever.

Miss Prudence said...

OMG this really takes the tim tam!!! This is so clever, so good, so thrifty and so wonderfully curly!!!!

Beautifully Recreated said...

I love your vest it is soooooooo gorgeous. No doubt he will look super sauve in he's new out fit. You are simply too clever.

michelle said...

brilliant. what a handsome little man he will be

Anna Bartlett said...

Fantastic idea Cam. I'm sure he'll find plenty of occasions to show his dapper side in that vest and hat! Lucky boy!

Cherie said...

Brilliant Darling, suave is right ;)